Industrial fryers are cookers commonly used in
the food industry, containing large amounts of oil (up to 19000 litres
or 5000 US gallons) and operating at high temperatures. The combination
of extreme heat and fuel source creates a potential fire risk. Fire
occurs if oil reaches its auto ignition temperature (AIT), therefore
cooling the oil after extinguishing a fire is critical to avoid
re-ignition. Strict sanitary regulations and the risk of the exposure of
employees to fire and/or system discharge increases the challenges for
the selection of the most appropriate fire protection technology. A fire
incident presents major risk to business affecting operations across
the entire plant, potential loss of equipment assets and production.
The Tyco AquaMist Industrial Fryer Protection (IFP) is a new oil cooker fire suppression solution. The system includes watermist nozzles, combined with fire detection to provide the best integrated solution to protect the hood area, fine box and stacks. Of all the fire protection options available specific to this challenge, only water mist is fully tested by third party testing agencies like Factory Mutual (FM) with exhaust hoods both raised and lowered.
To obtain FM approvals, watermist must provide both full extinguishment in various dimensioned fryers and rapidly cool oil temperatures below the AIT, minimizing the chance for fire re-ignition after discharge. AquaMist IFP offers savings to both owners (less downtime) and insurance companies (less downtime and lower clean-up costs). Download the IFP brochure to see a blueprint and quick overview of the system.
Technical Specifications IFP Nozzles:
|Discharge Coefficient||k = 4.3 lpm / bar |
k = 0.3 gpm / psi
|Pressure||11.7 bar |
|Water Density||8 lpm /m² |
0.2 gpm / ft²
The advantages of the AquaMist IFP system:
- Flexible nozzle placement: reducing installation cost and applicable to various hood configurations
- Low/Intermediate system pressures per NFPA750:
creates system simplicity.
- Specialized nozzle design to protect from oil vapor infiltration.
- Unlimited system discharge duration capability with use of a pump skid unit.
- No refill required: fast resetting of system.
- Extensive fire test program: guarantees performance in actual multiple possible scenarios.
- Fully integrated solution to guarantee compatibility between detection and suppression systems.
The IFP system consists of multiple components
selected and designed by the industry-leading engineers from Tyco Fire
A complete package solution consists of:
- Specially designed IFP nozzles
- Specially designed valve assembly
- AquaMist pump skid system
- Fully integrated fire detection